Hungary blocked a new package of sanctions against Russia
The Hungarian government fears that the embargo on Russian oil will lead to the energy collapse of this country. Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are heavily dependent on Russian oil supplies.
This was reported by Bloomberg.
At a meeting of 27 European countries, Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjártó said:
So far, we have voted for all the sanctions packages, but this last one will destroy the security of the Hungarian energy supply. Until the problem caused by the Proposal by Brussels is resolved, we will not vote for this package.
The new, sixth package of sanctions against Russia includes:
- Disconnection from the international payment system SWIFT of three more Russian banks, including Sberbank.
- Prohibition on the purchase of real estate in the EU for Russian legal entities and individuals.
- A ban on the provision of consulting services to Russian companies and trade in a number of chemicals.
- Sanctions were imposed on Alina Kabaeva, a former Olympic gymnast who, according to the EU document, is “closely associated” with Putin and Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Sanctions against dozens of military personnel, including those found guilty of war crimes in Bucha, as well as companies supplying equipment, materials and services to the Russian armed forces.